Search This Blog

Katherine's Dabblings


Sunday 19 January 2014

Bright Hopes Quilt Block Woolies Flannel Quilt

This block pattern is called Bright Hopes. The blocks are made up of 4" x 2" (finished) rectangles and 2" x 2" (finished) squares. The fabric is called woolies flannel and is lovely and soft. And seeing as though this was for my OH he chose the colours from what were available in the shop at the time (though would you believe there were nicer ones on our second visit to choose the backing) and the block pattern he found on the internet.

This has taken an absolute age to finish. I sewed the blocks up lovely. However, when it came to the actual quilting bit my little Brother sewing machine just couldn't cope with it. There were several mammoth sessions of us both unpicking and between this and the sewing machine dragging (even with a branded Brother walking foot), the squares unfortunately became rather distorted. It also came to light that the grey tartan was printed on the slant but I have to hold my hand up and confess that I did cut some of the others a bit on the huh. Lol!

It was eventually finished on a very old (1971) borrowed Bernina with a borrowed walking foot. It still wasn't overly happy though and became a two person job to ease it through.

So, I have now definitely learnt my lesson not to use fabrics with a line pattern in them. And the other thing to come out of this is that I am now looking into a new sewing machine. The one I'm interested in is the Pfaff Ambition 1.0 and am going to give it a try in a local shop later in the week. Yipee!

No comments :